Celebrations around the world mark the first International Yoga Day and, coinciding with this first international event, the Iyengar Yoga Convention is taking place in Exeter this weekend – great timing!
Take a look at how the celebrations in India are being reported on the BBC news – wouldn’t it be great if Western leaders followed Prime Minister Modi’s lead?
Today being the summer solstice it’s a great opportunity to practise Surya Namaskar (Sun Salutation). This sequence of eight poses is traditionally performed every morning, facing the sun, to greet the new day.
- Start in Tadasana.
- Inhale and stretch your arms into Urdhva Hastasana.
- Exhale extend forwards into Uttanasana.
- Inhale and extend into Ardha Uttanasana with the fingertips on the floor.
- Exhale and step your feet back.
- Lower into Chaturanga Dandasana.
- Inhale and extend forward into Urdhva Mukha Svanasana.
- Exhale and come into Adho Mukha Svanasana.
- Inhale and step your feet forward to Ardha Uttanasana.
- Exhale back to Uttanasana.
- Inhale and come into Urdhva Hastasana.
- Exhale and return to Tadasana.